Sometimes your situation may fall outside of my scope of practice. If you or your loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, struggling with suicidal thoughts, or you are struggling with domestic violence or emotional abuse in your relationship, coaching is not my recommended service. My services are not a replacement for the in mental health care that these situations may require.
Who am I?
I am a coach and a writer. I am not a licensed mental health practitioner or social worker.
Are your services covered?
My services are not covered by public or private insurance.
Who do you work with?
My services are for those in supportive relationships with individuals with complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder/Developmental Trauma. These include:
- Partners of an individual with cPTSD from dating to long-term
- Family members of an individual with cPTSD
- Friends of an individual with cPTSD
- Clinicians who are also partners/supporters
Do you work with individuals with cPTSD/complex trauma histories?
No. I do not work with individuals with cPTSD.
Do you offer sessions for couples?
No. I do not offer couples' sessions.
Do you offer support groups?
No. The focus of my work is individualized work with partners, supporters, and clinicians.
Other areas in which I do not work:
My services are focused on 'supporting the supporters.' While I recognize there are often co-occurring issues, I consider the following areas outside my scope of practice and do not provide support services to partners etc whose loved ones are actively struggling in these areas:
- Domestic violence including but not limited to emotional abuse
- Addictions including but not limited to substance use disorders
- Acute crisis
- Dissolution of partner relationships
I recommend the resource pages on the following websites:
- Robert Weiss, PhD, LMSW: Resources for Other Addictions
- Robyn Brickel, MA, LMFT: Therapeutic and Mental Health Resources
- Lifeline Canada has listings of global crisis lines and services
Do you have resources you recommend?
My focus is providing customized individual support. My resource recommendations occur on a case-by-case basis. I also share trusted resources on my social media and in my blog posts, including a series of interviews with trauma clinicians.
- Interview with Laura Reagan, LCSW-C, CDST and Robyn Brickel, MA, LMFT
- Interview with Annie Wright, LMFT
What is the difference between coaching and therapy?
Coaches do not diagnose or assess a client’s mental health or prescribe treatment. When a client’s mental health is in crisis, coaches refer them to licensed mental health professionals. Coaches may provide adjunctive support to mental health modalities.
My coaching work is the provision of a compassionate space to receive education and strategic support for your situation as a partner or supporter. While discussions may touch on your past and its impact on you today, the sessions are centered around strengthening and supporting you in the here and now.
The initial call is a time to explore together whether or not my services are suitable for you.
What if I already have an individual and/or couples therapist?
Any of the service offerings are suitable as adjunctive support for those working with an individual or couples therapist.
If you would like regular but less frequent support, the Enhanced Support Package might be a good option. The appointments are 90 minutes and pre-scheduled once/month.
How do I book a session or consult?
Sessions are booked through my online scheduler located on the service pages.
15-minute consults can be booked on any of the service pages.
*Cultivating Care for Partners of Survivors and Enhanced Support Packages are full until September 1, 2020.*
- Should you wish to speak with me before that date, please book an Individual Support Session.
Questions about payment.
- Payment is made on the website through Stripe. You do not need a Stripe account.
- Session fees are in Canadian dollars.
Cancellations and refunds.
Cancellation of appointments require 24 hours notice in advance of scheduled meeting or loss of payment will occur.
In the case of package purchase, further details are provided to individual clients.
How do online sessions work?
- All sessions take place via Zoom unless otherwise arranged. Once you have booked your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with a Zoom link.
- At your scheduled appointment time, click on the Zoom link provided.
- To set up a Zoom account, please go here.
Do you offer in person sessions?
My appointments are online only.
Do you offer phone sessions?
My paid appointments are by video conferencing only.
The 15-minute consult calls may take place by phone in Canada only.
Do you work with international clients?
Yes, I work with clients outside of North America.
My local time is Toronto (EST/EDT). Please reach out through the contact form if you are concerned about the time difference and/or do not see a time slot conducive to your time zone.
Kindly send these to email@example.com. I will reach out if we feel it is an aligned fit. Thank you so much for your interest in partnering with Heather Tuba.